We are implementing some new rules and procedures for the auction this year. The last few auctions have taken up quite a bit of time due to the volume of stuff going up for bidding. A lot of things are not receiving any bids, especially towards the end of the auction. And it has been noticed that some sellers are check-marking their own stuff to get it up for bids.
We are going to try a “buy it now” option for the auction. In addition to the starting bid line on the slip, there will be a “buy it now” line. Sellers will enter the minimum they want the item to go for on the starting bid line, and they may enter a higher price, what they hope to get, on the “buy it now” line. There will be a $5.00 minimum for starting bids, anything under that will have to be a “buy it now” item.
For the buyers, you will have some options. When you see an item you would like, you can either purchase it right away for the “buy it now” price or have it put up for bids on the auction. To put it up for bidding, you will need to hand the item over to one of our auction assistants, who will set it on a bid item table. You will need to show the assistant your bid card to confirm that you can bid on the item, and you are not the seller for it. Once the item is up for bids, it is not available for “buy it now”, however buyers can look and see what is up for bidding.
There will be a cut off time of 11:00 AM for buy it now purchases to give us time to enter them in the computer before the auction starts. You can pay with cash or check. The division will receive 10% of all sales, both auction and “buy it now”. There will also be a cut off time for putting an item up for bidding, which will be 12:30.
9:00 AM – Set up begins, sellers may set their stuff out on the tables (except the bid table) Check in, turn in BoD election ballots, get a bid card
9:30 AM – “Buy it now” purchase period starts
10:00 AM – Meeting starts, deadline for BoD ballots
10:30AM – BoD election results announced, new board meets
11:00 AM – Deadline for “buy it now” purchases and Lunch time
11:30AM – Auction begins
12:30PM – Deadline for placing items up for bidding.
2019 Auction Instructions and Rules:
To Sell an Item:
1. You must be a current member of the NMRA to sell at the meeting. You will need to fill out a new auction slip for each item or lot that you wish to sell. You will need your seller number, which is not the same as your NMRA number. Contact John Fallon ( 757-636-3023, email@example.com) if you don’t know your number. Use a different item number for each slip, and briefly describe the item. Items with no name or seller number will be considered as donated to the division.
2. There are two different price lines on the slip. The start bid line is for the auction, put down the minimum price you want the item to sell for. There is a minimum of $5.00 for starting bids. The other line is for a “buy it now” price. This is the price you would really like for the item. Items under $5.00 will be buy it now only. For items over $5.00 , buy it now is optional. Please remember that 10% of the final sale price goes to the division.
To Buy an Item:
1. When you arrive at the meeting, you must check in and get your bidding card in order to purchase anything. You can then browse through the tables. If you find something you want, there are two options.
2. You can purchase the item right away at the “buy it now” price up until 11:00 AM. Any item under $5.00 will be buy it now only. Just bring the item(s) up to the cashier and pay for them.
3. If there is a start bid price, you can opt to put it up for the auction. You must then take the item to the bid table, hand it to one of the auction assistants, and show your bidding card. The assistant will check the bid box and put the item on the table. Items on the bid table are no longer eligible for buy it now.
4. The auction will start at around 11:30. This is not a silent auction. When you want to bid on something, speak up and get the auctioneer’s attention. Once he says “Sold!” it is done. There is a cut off time of 12:30 to put anything up for bidding.
1. There will be two points during the day for sellers to receive payment. If you are only selling buy it now items, you may cash out between 11:00 and 11:30. Once the auction is over, anyone who had items sold at the auction can cash out. We request that those who only bought come up and pay first, so that we will then have the cash available to pay the sellers.