The Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad was chartered on February 25, 1834, to run from Richmond north via Fredericksburg to the Potomac River. The RF&P was a bridge line, with a slogan of "Linking North & South," on a system that stretched about 113 miles. The RF&P's ancestry dates to the mid-1830s as one of Virginia's first, chartered to connect the state capital with the Potomac River. There were the passenger trains. The names which once passed over its rails were many ranging from the Silver Comet, Silver Meteor, and Orange Blossom Special. When the Civil War broke out the railroad's location caused it considerable damage from Union forces which constantly ransacked the right-of-way. Into the diesel era, RF&P stuck solely with Electro-Motive for all road-switchers and later switchers. At first it acquired E8's for passenger duties and F7's to handle freight assignments. The track is now the RF&P Subdivision of the CSX Transportation system; the original corporation is no longer a railroad company. It and the former Conrail properties are the only CSX lines to have cab signal requirements on their entire system. The railroad took great pride in its southern heritage and longstanding corporate history from its blue and grey livery to steam locomotives named for prominent political figures. In 1991, after nearly 160 years of continuous service, the RF&P was purchased outright by CSX Transportation.